Manager Beryllium Laboratory
PURPOSE: The position consist of managing a laboratory where the beryllium lymphocyte proliferation test (BeLPT) is performed to determine whether a worker has a sensitivity to beryllium and should have further testing for chronic beryllium disease. The additional testing requires invasive procedures and is difficult to perform therefore the BeLPT results must be of highest quality. The BeLPT is considered to be a highly complex test and involves biological, radiological and chemical hazards and all work must be done under strict safety and privacy guidelines to protect the confidentiality of the patient, and the safety of the employee and the environment. The results of the BeLPT are sent to ordering physician using strict HIPAA and PII guidelines while maintaining hard and electronic copies at the laboratory.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Evaluates the quality of the laboratory operations from a scientific perspective and provides scientific background for troubleshooting problems with lab procedures, equipment and analysis of data. Reviews articles regarding beryllium disease and lymphocyte proliferation.
* Manages lab personnel and evaluates their performance. Evaluates quality assurance and quality control for test results, and equipment. Oversees environmental and worker safety and health for lab. Participates in ALARA committee.
* Oversees the laboratory for CLIA and College of American Pathology Accreditation. Makes sure the laboratory meets all DOE inspection requirements and responsible for lab risk management.
* Identifies and develops appropriate new or modified methodologies for use in the laboratory including procedures, equipment and analysis of data for result determination.
* Performs technical duties as needed in the laboratory for lymphocyte isolation and culture, pulsing, harvesting and quality control and maintenance. Performs backup log-in procedures.
* Performs data analysis including the statistics on raw data to interprete test results. Confers with director on guidelines for outcome determination.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Performs phlebotomies.
* Oversees training of new hires.
Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or clinical laboratory science (Biology, Chemistry, or Microbiology) with four to six years job related experience. Master's degree in Medical Technology or clinical laboratory science (Biology, Chemistry, or Microbiology) is preferred. MT (ASCP), State of Tennessee License as a Medical Laboratory Professional. Previous supervisory experience required. Must be capable of managing the laboratory procedures and personnel. Must understand and analyze each step in the process of performing beryllium lymphocyte proliferation testing (BeLPT). This understanding is critical when interpreting test results. Must be able to differentiate between test failure/lab failure and unsatisfactory test results by looking at the raw data and reviewing lab procedures. Basic knowledge of cell biology, immunology and hematology is required. Manual dexterity some knowledge of cell culture techniques are needed to use density gradients, cell counters, and precision micropipettors. Mechanical ability is required to troubleshoot some lab equipment and keep it in proper working order. Use of sterile technique is necessary at all steps of the BeLPT procedure to include handling the blood sample and also handling all equipment and preparing and dispensing reagents used in the test. Ability to perform phlebotomies is desirable. Experience in preparing a laboratory for an inspection by the College of American Pathologists (CAP) for certification is highly recommended.
Call (865) 576-6051, Monday through Friday, from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EDT or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.