ORISE Provides Support to DOE’s Oak Ridge Office Joint Information Center (JIC)
In the event of an emergency, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Oak Ridge Office (ORO) Joint information Center (JIC) may be activated. The Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) supports the DOE ORO JIC with training, management of the JIC facility, and onsite advisory capabilities.
Specifically, ORISE provides:
- Facility managers that ensure the physical facility of the JIC is operational during drills, exercises, tabletops and actual events.
- Advisors who provide support to public information officers (PIO) and contractor spokespersons by:
- Analyzing information from emergency operations center and other sources
- Advising the PIO about news releases and other media interaction
- Advising spokespersons on public rumors and misinformation in the media
- Serving as an informal liaison with offsite spokespersons
- Identifying and assessing potential emerging issues, problems and opportunities to improve communications
- Training to ensure all JIC responders meet DOE training requirements for response capabilities. Training includes: spokesperson, emergency management overview, telephone team, media monitoring and administrative support training.