- Advisory Committee on Human Radiation Experiments (ACHRE) (at the National Security Archive)
ACHRE was created on Jan. 15, 1994 and dissolved in October 1995. It investigated and reported on the use of human beings as subjects of federally funded research using ionizing radiation. This archive contains the information on the original ACHRE Web site and includes information on the committees' activities, processes, and papers.
- American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
Promotes the exchange of ideas and fosters multidisciplinary, interdisciplinary, and inter-professional scholarship, research, teaching, policy development, professional development, and collegiality among people engaged in clinical and academic bioethics and the medical humanities.
- National Bioethics Advisory Commission Web Site
Charter expired in Oct. 2001. Site is maintained for archival purposes.
- Public Responsibility in Medicine & Research (PRIM&R)
An organization dedicated to creating, implementing, and advancing the highest ethical standards in the conduct of human research.
- Secretary's Advisory Committee on Human Research Protections
Formerly known as the National Human Research Protections Advisory Committee. Chartered in Oct. 2002 to provide expert advice and recommendations to the Secretary of Health and Human Services and the Assistant Secretary for Health on issues and topics pertaining to or associated with the protection of human research subjects.
- The Belmont Report: Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research
The basis for the ethical principles that should underlie the conduct of biomedical and behavioral research involving human subjects and the guidelines that should be followed to ensure that such research is conducted in accordance with those principles.
- World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki
Ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects.
- HIPAA Privacy Rule: Information for Researchers
Summary information and documents on the National Institutes of Health site.
- Nuremberg Code
Directives for human experimentation.
- DHHS Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP) Policy Guidance
Reference links for multiple guidance topics.
- Interpretive Guide to the “Common Rule”
From the U.S. Agency for International Development. Clarifies and provides guidance on how to interpret selected aspects of the Federal Policy for the Protection of Human Subjects (Part A) sometimes called the Common Rule.
- IRB Guidebook, DHHS/OHRP
Second edition of the guidebook, developed to help researchers and IRB members understand the policies and principles that underlie the regulations governing research with human subjects, and identify the issues to which they should be sensitive in designing or reviewing research proposals.
- Human Subjects Protection Resource Book
Synthesizes the information currently available on the protection of human subjects in research, the continuing application of such information to new areas of endeavor, and the ever-changing rules, regulations, and guidance. For investigators, Institutional Review Boards, research organizations, research subjects, and others.
- DOE Order 443.1B
- DOE Protecting Human Subjects
- Pacific Northwest Laboratory (PNL) Standards Based Management System: Human Subjects Research
- PNL Human Subject Research Protection Program IRB
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
The Human Subjects Research Database contains information relating to research projects involving human subjects (projects reviewed by an IRB and not given "Exemption" status) that are currently funded by the Department of Energy, or are performed at DOE facilities with support from other sponsors, or by DOE personnel or DOE contractor personnel. This database consists of a searchable interface, detailed descriptions of each research project and a section that summarizes the information for quick referencing.