Radiation Emergency Assistance Center/Training Site (REAC/TS)
Through the management of the Radiation Emergency Assistance Center/Training Site (REAC/TS), the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) positions the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) as an international leader in emergency medical response to radiation incidents.
As part of its mission to strengthen medical response to radiation emergencies, REAC/TS staff are available 24 hours a day/seven days a week to deploy and provide emergency medical consultation for incidents involving radiation anywhere in the world. REAC/TS provides direct support for the National Nuclear Security Administration's Office of Emergency Response and the Federal Radiological Monitoring and Assessment Center (FRMAC).
Adding to its depth of response and consultation capabilities, REAC/TS is uniquely qualified to teach medical personnel, health physicists, first responders and occupational health professionals about radiation emergency medical response. REAC/TS also operates a cytogenetic biodosimetry laboratory, where chromosome aberration analysis is used for ionizing radiation dose assessment.
REAC/TS supports the international community as a World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Center of the Radiation Emergency Medical Preparedness and Assistance Network (REMPAN) and as a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency’s (IAEA) Response Assistance Network (RANET) for radiation accident response.
How ORISE is Making a Difference
- Frequently Asked Questions about Radiation
- Understanding Radiation Video Series
- The Medical Aspects of Radiation Incidents
- Dose Estimates and Compendia
- Procedure Demonstrations for Contaminated Patients
- Hospital Triage Article
- Radiation Treatment Medication Package Inserts
- Cytogenetic Biodosimetry Laboratory Video
- Cytogenetic Biodosimetry Laboratory Brochure
- Dose Coefficients for Intakes of Radionuclides via Contaminated Wounds
Book: The Medical Basis for Radiation-Accident Preparedness: Medical Management
Available NOW! via Amazon Purchase an official copy of the proceedings from the Fifth International REAC/TS Symposium on the Medical Basis for Radiation-Accident Preparedness and the Biodosimetry Workshop
Agents of Opportunity CME Course now available on-line
REAC/TS has partnered with Lincoln Memorial University to offer the two-part Agents of Opportunity for Terrorism continuing medical education course on-line. Read more at the LMU website.
Upcoming Continuing Medical Education Courses
- Radiation Emergency Medicine
Aug 12-15, 2014
- Advanced Radiation Medicine
Aug 18-22, 2014
- Health Physics in Radiation Emergencies
Jun 9-13, 2014
- Agents of Opportunity for Terrorism