Daniel Francis Flynn, M.D.
Address: Department of Radiation Oncology, Holy Family Hospital and Medical Center,
70 East Street, Methuen, MA. 01844
Phone/E-mail: (978) 683-9209
U.S. Army Active Component (1967-1970); Vietnam 1967-1968; Thailand 1968-1970; Honorable Discharge 1970
Recipient of Individual Presidential Citation from President Jimmy Carter (Vietnam Veterans Week, June 1979)
U.S. Army Reserve Component (1986 – Present); Colonel, Medical Corps Deployment to Iraq, Camp Bucca (2007) in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom
Undergraduate: Northeastern University, B.A., Physics (cum laude), 1969
Graduate: Harvard University School of Public Health – Massachusetts Institute of Technology Joint Program, Master of Science in Medical Radiation Physics, Harvard University School of Public Health, 1972
Professional: Jefferson Medical College, Doctor of Medicine, 1978.
Internship, Surgery: Massachusetts General—Waltham Hospital Program, July 1978 – June 1979
Residency, Radiation Oncology: Massachusetts General Hospital, July 1979 – June 1982
1982 – 1986 Director, Radiation Oncology Section, Department of Radiology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical School and Parkland Hospital
1983 – 1995 Consultant and Trainer for Radiation Management Consultants: Training/evaluation of emergency department personnel in management of contaminated-injured patients from nuclear power plant facilities
1986 – 1998 Assistant Radiation Oncologist, Massachusetts General Hospital
1991 – 1998 Advisory Committee Medical Use of Isotopes (ACMUI), U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
1992 – 2001 Medical Consultant, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, D.C.
1992 – 1993 Acting Director, Radiation Oncology, Boston University Medical Center in temporary joint program with Massachusetts General Hospital
1994 – Present Visiting Faculty, Radiation Emergency Assistance Center and Training Site (REAC/TS), Oak Ridge Associated Universities, Oak Ridge, TN
1994 – Present New England Radiation Therapy Associates
1998 Radiological Medical Consultant, Pan American Health Organization, On-Site Medical Consultant Costa Rica Incident
2005 – Present Medical Advisor, Nuclear Incident Advisory Team, Department of Public Health, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Volunteer Tutor in Algebra (part-time)
Northern Student Movement serving Boston inner-city students, 1963 – 1965
Instructor, English as a Second Language, A.U.A. School, Bangkok, Thailand, 1969
Course Director and Lecturer in Mathematics, "College Algebra" (one-semester course), University of Maryland (Far East Division, Bangkok, Thailand, site), 1969
Course Director and Lecturer in Physics, "Waves and Vibrations" (one-semester course), Physics Department, Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand, 1970
Health Physics Summer Internship, Ministry of Public Health, Thailand, 1971 Participated with Radiation Protection Survey Team in several hospitals in Thailand and Laos
Instructor in Radiation Oncology, Harvard Medical School
Course Director, Introduction to Radiation Oncology (Course #502 M3b), 1987-1993
CURRENT HOSPITAL APPOINTMENTS:
1994 – Present Staff Radiation Oncologist. Chairman, Radiation Safety Committee.
Holy Family Hospital and Medical Center, Methuen, MA
MA #55923; American Board of Radiology (Radiation Oncology), 1984.
Founder and Faculty Adviser (1982 – 2001) of Association of Residents in Radiation Oncology (ARRO); Editor, ARRO Directory (1983 – present); ARRO Distinguished Faculty Recognition Award (1988).
Oral Board Examiner in Radiation Oncology, American Board of Radiology (1986 – 1993) Residency Review Committee for Radiation Oncology, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (1990 – 1997)
American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO), Nuclear Radiological Response Taskforce (2003 – 2008)
Chairman, Membership Committee, ASTRO (1987 – 1990)
Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, Committee on Medical Preparedness for a Terrorist Nuclear Attack (2008-2009)
Committee to evaluate student candidates seeking nominations to U.S. military service academies (U.S. Senator Scott Brown – Massachusetts, effective 2011)
American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL PRESENTATIONS:
Flynn D.F. "Nuclear Terrorism and Mass Casualties: The Role of the Radiation Oncologist." Refresher Course, American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, October 2004.
Flynn D.F. "Medical Management of Casualties of Nuclear Terrorism." Armed Forces Radiobiological Research Institute (AFRRI). Distinguished AFRRI Seminar Speaker Series. Bethesda, MD, September 2006.
Sugarman S., Wiley A., Jarrett D., and Flynn D. Workshop and Table Top Exercises on Medical Management Issues in Nuclear Terrorism Scenario. World Health Organization REMPLAN Meeting on Twentieth Anniversary of Chernobyl Accident, Kiev, Ukraine, April 25-28, 2006.
Flynn D.F. "Triage Aspects in Mass-Casualties Scenarios: Nuclear Detonation vs. Dirty Bomb." Nuclear Medical Defense Conference, Radiobiology Institute, German Military Medical Academy, Munich, Germany, March 2007.
1. Flynn D.F. "Analysis of the Astigmatic Coefficient in the Determination of the Refractive Index of Optical Glass by Ronchi Test." ITEK, 66:1013, 1966.
2. Robertson J.S., Williams J.R., Schmidt R.S., Little J.B., Flynn D.F., and Suit H.D. "Radiobiological Studies of a High Energy Modulated Proton Beam Utilizing Cultured Mammalian Cells." Cancer, 35:1664-1667, 1975.
3. Flynn D.F., Munzenrider J.E., and Linggood R.M. "Metastatic Epidural Tumor Causing Spinal Cord Compression: Comparison of Treatment Modalities." (Abstr.) Int. J. Radiat. Onc. Biol. Phys., 8:129-130, 1982.
4. Davis L.W., Cox J.D., Diamond J., Flynn D.F., Halberg F., and Moss W. "The Manpower Crisis Facing Radiation Oncology." Int. J. Radiat. Onc. Biol. Phys., 12:1873-1878, 1986.
5. Cox J.D., Flynn D.F., Pittman D.D., and del Regato J.A. "Postgraduate Training in Radiation Oncology in the United States, 1986." Int. J. Radiat. Onc. Biol. Phys., 13:1383-1388, 1987.
6. Flynn D.F. "Combined Interstitial Hyperthermia and Interstitial Radiation in Cancer Treatment." Proceedings of Ninth Annual Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 1638-1639, 1987.
7. Frederickson H., Carey R.W., Flynn D., Granai C.O., Nikrui N., Tarraza H., Fuller A.F. Jr. "Chemotherapy With Bleomycin, Vincristine, Mitomycin-C and Cisplatinum for Advanced, Persistent and Recurrent Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Cervix." (Abstr.) Proceedings of the Seventh Annual Meeting of the New England Association of Gynecologic Oncologists. Cape Elizabeth, ME, 1987.
8. Fan Z., and Flynn D.F. "Prognostic Factors in Brain Metastases." Chinese Journal of Radiation Oncology, 3:9-14, 1988.
9. Cox J.D., Flynn D.F., Pittman D.D., Brady L.W., del Regato J.A. "Radiation Oncology: Postgraduate Medical Education in the United States, 1988." Int. J. Radiat. Onc. Biol. Phys., 16:1577-1582, 1989.
10. Flynn D.F. and Shipley W.U. "Management of Spinal Cord Compression Secondary to Metastatic Prostatic Carcinoma." Urologic Clinics of North America, 18:145-152, 1991.
11. Corn B.W., Taylor B.W., Know S.T., Martz K.L., and Flynn D.F. "Results of the 1989 Association of Residents in Radiation Oncology Survey. Int. J. Radiat. Onc. Biol. Phys. 20:1363-1367, 1991.
12. Muntz H.G., Ferry J.A., Flynn D.F., Fuller A.F. Jr., and Terraza H.M. "Stage IE Primary Malignant Lymphomas of the Uterine Cervix." Cancer, 68:2023-2032, 1991.
13. Flynn D.F. and Wang C.C. "Hyperfractionated Whole Abdominal Irradiation for Stage III Ovarian Cancer: Salvage Radiation Therapy Versus Salvage Chemotherapy for Persistent Disease." (Abstr.) Int. J. Radiat. Onc. Biol. Phys., 21:219-220, 1991.
14. Flynn D.F. and Hussey D.H. "Review of the Manpower Issue in Radiation Oncology." Int. J. Radiat. Onc. Biol. Phys., 24:909-912, 1992.
15. Flynn D.F. "Therapy of Acute Radiation Injury." Critical Rev. Oncol/Hematol., 15:49-89, 1993.
16. Flynn D.F., Mihalakis I., Mauceri T., and Pins M.R. "Gastrointestinal Syndrome After Accidental Overexposure During Radiotherapy." Radiation and the GI Tract, A. Dubois, ed. CRC Press, 1994.
17. Flynn D.F. "Analysis of Late Complications Following Hyperfractionated Pelvic Irradiation for Inoperable Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Cervix." (Abstr.) Int. J. Radiat. Onc. Biol. Phys., 30:288-289, 1994.
18. Flynn D.F. and del Regato J.A. "Postgraduate Medication Education in the United States." Presented at the November 1995 RSNA Meeting. Radiology, 197 (Suppl):224, 1995.
19. Ling S. and Flynn D.F. "Results of the 1993 Association of Residents in Radiation Oncology (ARRO) Survey." Int. J. Radiat. Onc. Biol. Phys., 34:221-226, 1996.
20. Flynn D.F. "Major Concerns of Resident Physicians." Int. J. Radiol. Oncol. Biol. Phys., 34:519-520, 1996.
21. Flynn D.F. "Will the Radiation Oncologist in the Twenty-First Century Be Employed Full-Time?" Int. J. Radiol. Oncol. Biol. Phys., 36:526-527, 1996.
22, Sainz de la Cuesta R., Goff B.A., Nikrui N., Flynn D.F., Fuller A.F. Jr. "Post-Operative Management of Patients with Surgical Stage Ib Endometrial Carcinoma." Eur. J. Gynaecol. Oncol., 5:338-341, 1996.
23. Frederickson H., Carey R., Flynn D., Granai C.O., Nikrui N., Fuller A.F. Jr. "Chemotherapy with BOMP for Advanced and Metastatic Cervical Carcinoma: One Year Later." (Abstr.) Proceedings of the Eighth Annual Meeting of the New England Association of Gynecologic Oncologists. Mystic, CT, 1998.
24. Flynn D.F. "The Employment Status of 1995 Graduates from Radiation Oncology Programs in the United States." Int. J. Radiat. Onc. Biol. Phys., 43:1075-1081, 1999.
25. Mauceri T., Biggs P., Beatty J., Flynn D. "Scatter and Attenuation Measurement at Distances Greater Than 10 cm for Iridium-192 Source." Medical Phys., 26(1):97-99, Jan. 1999.
26. Berger M., Leonard R., Ricks R., Wiley A., Lowry P., Flynn D. "Hospital Triage in the First 24 Hours After a Nuclear or Radiological Disaster. Radiation Emergency Assistance Center/Training Site (REAC/TS) 2004 Update." Available at www.orau.gov/reacts.
27. Jagsi R., Buck D., Singh A., Engleman M., Thakkar V., Frank S., and Flynn D. "Results of the 2003 Association of Residents in Radiation Oncology (ARRO) Surveys of Residents and Chief Residents in the United States." Int. J. Radiat. Onc. Biol. Phys., 61(3):642-648, 2005.
28. Wilson L.D., Flynn D.F., Haffty B.G. "Radiation Oncology Career Decision Variables for Graduating Trainees Seeking Positions in 2003-2004." Int. J. Radiat. Onc. Biol. Phys., 62(2):519-525, 2005.
29. Flynn D.F. and Goans R.E. "Nuclear Terrorism: Triage and Medical Management of Combined-Injury Casualties." Surgical Clinics of North America, 86(3):601-636, 2006.
30. Goans R.E. and Flynn D.F. "Acute Radiation Syndrome in Humans." Textbook of Military Medicine, Medical Consequences of Radiological and Nuclear Weapons Edition, Borden Institute, U.S. Department of Defense (accepted for publication 2010).
31. Flynn D.F. and Goans R.E. "Triage and Treatment of Radiation and Combined-Injury Casualties." Textbook of Military Medicine, Medical Consequences of Radiological and Nuclear Weapons Edition, Borden Institute, U.S. Department of Defense (accepted for publication 2010).