Dr. Stenke is an Associate Professor of Hematology and Internal Medicine at the Karolinska Institute (KI) and Senior Physician at the Department of Hematology at the Karolinska University Hospital in Stockholm, Sweden. Born in 1953, he earned his MD at KI in 1983 and his PhD in 1991 with a dissertation on lipoxygenase products in chronic myeloid leukemia. He has a continued research interest particularly in myeloid leukemias, with fellowships served in Gainesville, Florida and Seattle, Washington. Dr Stenke is also Deputy Chief of the Radiation Emergency Medical Center (KcRN) at the KI and the Swedish National Board of Health & Welfare, with commissions for the IAEA, EBMT and WHO-REMPAN.
Leif Stenke, born April 4, 1953.
Address: Hematology Center/Dept of Hematology, Karolinska University Hospital, SE-17176 Stockholm, Sweden
A. Professional preparation
- 1977-78: Research fellow, Dept Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, Univ. of Florida, Gainesville, USA and Dept Hematology Karolinska hospital, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 1980: Graduated as physician at Karolinska Institutet (KI), Stockholm.
- 1983: MD degree
- 1983-1990: Training in internal medicine and hematology, Karolinska hospital and Danderyd hosp.
- 1988: Qualified specialist in internal medicine
- 1990: Qualified specialist in hematology
- 1991: Ph.D., Dept of Hematology and Dept. Physiological Chemistry, Karolinska hospital and KI with a dissertation on lipoxygenase products in CML. Examiner: Prof. John Goldman, London.
- 1993: Associate professor in internal medicine and hematology, KI.
- 1999- cont: Senior consultant ("överläkare"), Dept of Hematology, Karolinska University hosp.
- 1999- cont: Staff member, Dept of Hematology, Karolinska University hospital.
- 1999 - 2000: Served as acting Chief, Dept Hematology, Karolinska hosp, intermittent time periods.
- 1996-99: Consultant ("överläkare"), Dept of Medicine, Danderyd hospital, Stockholm.
- 1996-99: Staff member, Dept of Medicine, Danderyd hospital, Stockholm.
- 1993-99: Served as acting Chief, Section of Hematology, Dept Medicine, Danderyd hospital intermittent time periods.
- During the past three decades received repeated research appointments at the KI, the Swedish Cancer Society and various non-profit research foundations.
C. Commissions of trust
- 2004 - cont: Specialistsakkunnig Hematologi, SLL (Advisor in Hematology, Sthlm County Council)
- 1999-2000: Secretary, the Swedish Society of Hematology.
- 1999-2000: Secretary and treasurer, the Nordic Society of Hematology.
D. Networks in academia and industry:
Active member of the following clinical research groups:
- The Leukemia Group of Middle Sweden (LGMS)
- The Swedish Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Study Group
- The Nordic Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Study Group
- The Southwest Oncology Group, USA
- Deputy chief of the Radiation Emergency Medical Center (KcRN) at KI and the Swedish Ntl Board of Health and Welfare, with commissions for the IAEA and WHO-Rempan. Principal investigator at KI in multiple clinical and experimental studies, national and international, in the area of hematology since the early 1980s. Formal Swedish and American GCP training. Initiated and participated in international research collaboration with groups such as the Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG) USA, the European Organisation of Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT), the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) and the Italian CML-group. Trial collaborations with pharmaceu-tical companies such as Novartis, Wyeth-Lederle, Bristol Myers-Squibb, Roche, Jansen-Cilag, Schering-Plough, Schering Nordic, Nycomed. Served as experimental and clinical guest researcher at Dept of Haematology at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith hospital, London 1985 and at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, USA 1996. Member of the Swedish Medical Association, the Swedish Society of Hematology and the American Society of Hematology.
Supervisor for PhD at KI for M Lindberg, MD and A-C Ohm, MD. Associate supervisor for M Sjölinder (PhD thesis KI 2001). Member of seven evaluation committees for Ph.D. dissertations at the KI.
Main or co-author of approx. 65 peer-reviewed original scientific papers, 15 reviews/book chapters and approx 110 abstracts to scientific meetings.