Research Project Description
Volkswagen Distinguished Scholars
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
The Volkswagen Distinguished Scholars Program offers students from five select Tennessee universities the opportunity to participate in cutting edge automotive-related research at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. An optional second summer is possible where students will further their research with the Volkswagen Group of America at the new Chattanooga Plant. Students will have access to the finest scientific facilities, equipment, and staff and will be guided through the successful completion of their projects by a network of scientific mentors. By the end of the two-summer experience, students will be well-versed in VW-mission critical disciplines.
Current Research Areas
- Low Cost Carbon Fiber
- Battery Research and Development
- Fuels, Engines and Emissions
- Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Sustainable Manufacturing
- Additive Manufacturing - Robotics
- Additive Manufacturing - Polymers
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, the world’s fourth largest automaker and the largest carmaker in Europe. It houses the U.S. operations of a worldwide family of distinguished and exciting brands including Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini and Volkswagen, as well as VW Credit, Inc. Volkswagen Group of America brings to the U.S. vehicles that marry the science of engineering and the art of styling, with the goal of offering attractive, safe, and environmentally sound automobiles that are competitive and set world standards in their respective classes.
- Undergraduate student : Junior or Senior
- Graduate student: Not yet completed course-work
- Degree field of interest to VW
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must have a grade point average of 3.5 or above.
Must be attending one of the following universities:
- Fisk University
- Tennessee State University
- Tennessee Technological University
- University of Memphis
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- University of Tennessee, Chattanooga
How to Apply:
Applications for this program are not currently accepted in TOppS. Please visit http://www.orau.org/volkswagen/ for application and general information. Summer 2013 applications will be accepted starting October 1, 2012.