Research Project Description
Semantic Web Technologies Fellowship
Office of Translation Sciences
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Silver Spring, MD
A postdoctoral fellowship is available within the Office of Translation Sciences (OTS) in the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The selected participant will be involved with efforts to use Semantic Web technologies to develop clinical data standards for various therapeutic areas at CDER.
The participant may be involved in one or more of the following aspects of the project:
- Reviewing artifacts, such as case report forms (CRF)
- Sampling data
- Gathering requirements from subject matter experts/reviewers at CDER
- Conducting research utilizing Semantic Web technologies for data warehousing and re-use of Electronic Health Record (EHR) for clinical research.
This project aims to improve the efficiency of human drug review through required electronic submissions and standardization of electronic drug application data utilizing Semantic Web technologies.
The Research Participation Program for FDA is administered by the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE). The initial appointment is for two years and may be renewed upon recommendation of FDA contingent on the availability of funds. The participant will receive a monthly stipend depending on educational level and experience. The participant must show proof of health insurance. The appointment is full-time at FDA in the Silver Spring, Maryland, area. Participants do not become employees of FDA or the program administrator, and there are no fringe benefits paid.
- A MD or PhD with training in Biomedical Informatics or computer science (with focus on the Semantic Web technologies, artificial intelligence and machine learning) received within the last five years.
- Knowledge of Ontology Web Language (OWL) based technologies, Resource Description Framework (RDF), SPARQL, XML, XSD, and JQuery is desired.
How to Apply:
To be considered, please send a current CV/resume to FDArpp@orau.org. Please reference FDA-CDER-2013-0009 in all communications.