Research Project Description
Department of Energy (DOE) Community College Internship (CCI)
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Oak Ridge, TN
CCI Program Overview
The Community College Internship (CCI) program seeks to encourage community college students to enter technical careers relevant to the DOE mission by providing technical training experiences at the DOE laboratories. Selected students participate as interns appointed at one of 15 participating DOE laboratories. They work on technologies or instrumentation projects or major research facilities supporting DOE’s mission, under the guidance of laboratory staff scientists or engineers.
The CCI program is sponsored and managed by the DOE Office of Science’s Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) in collaboration with the DOE laboratories.
Applications for the CCI program are solicited annually for the Summer Term. Internship appointments are 10 weeks in duration. Each DOE laboratory offers different technical internship opportunities; not all DOE laboratories participate in the CCI program.
Eligibility for the CCI program requires that all applicants:
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student at a community college or accredited two-year college and completed at least one semester at the time of applying.
- Must have completed at least 6 credit hours in science, mathematics, engineering, or technology course areas, and completed at least 12 credits hours towards a degree.
- Must have an undergraduate cumulative minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for all completed courses as a matriculating student.
- Must be 18 years or older at the time the internship begins.
- Must be a United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien at the time of applying. Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Alien status will be requested at the time an internship offer is accepted. Acceptable form of proof of U.S. Citizenship includes, but is not limited to, a Certified Birth Certificate, an U.S. State Government Issued Enhanced Drivers License, U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport Card, Naturalization Certificate, Certificate of Citizenship, Consular Report of Birth (of U.S. citizen) Abroad, or Certification of Birth. Permanent Resident Aliens must hold an active United States Permanent Resident Card.
- Must have earned a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) equivalent at the time of applying. Proof of an earned High School diploma or for passing all five GED tests required to achieve a Certificate of General Educational Development should be provided on the applicant’s undergraduate transcripts.
Additional Eligibility requirements:
How to Apply:
Applications for the DOE CCI program are accepted on the Department of Energy website. Visit http://science.energy.gov/wdts/cci/how-to-apply/ for information on how to apply.