Research Project Description
Chemical Informatics Fellowship
Office of Clinical Pharmacology
Office of Translational Sciences
Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Silver Spring, MD
A postdoctoral fellowship opportunity is currently available in the Division of Applied Regulatory Science within the Office of Clinical Pharmacology of the Office of Translational Sciences (OTS) in the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Under the guidance of a mentor, the selected participant will be involved in developing and applying chemical informatics tools, including (quantitative) structure-activity relationship ((Q)SAR) models, for non-clinical and clinical endpoints of regulatory significance to CDER. S/he may be involved with one or more of the following aspects of the project:
- Developing and applying tools for data-mining toxicology and/or clinical adverse effect findings
- Constructing and enhancing training databases for modeling
- Developing, validating and optimizing (Q)SAR models
- Constructing structure-linked knowledge bases with enhances search capabilities
The Research Participation Program for FDA is administered by the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE). The initial appointment is for one year, but may be renewed upon recommendation of FDA contingent on the availability of funds. The participant will receive a monthly stipend depending on educational level and experience. The participant must show proof of health insurance. The appointment is full-time at FDA in the Silver Spring, Maryland, area. Participants do not become employees of FDA or the program administrator, and there are no fringe benefits paid.
- A Doctoral degree in bioinformatics or a related discipline received within the last five years.
- Expertise in programming and chemical/biological data-mining.
- Knowledge of drug toxicology and (Q)SAR modeling.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- U.S. Citizenship or permanent resident status required.
How to Apply:
To be considered, please send a current CV/resume to the attention of FDArpp@orau.org. Please reference FDA-CDER-2014-0012 in all communications.