Beryllium Associated Worker Registry (BAWR)
The Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) maintains the Beryllium Associated Worker Registry (BAWR) for the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Health, Safety and Security (HSS). ORISE collects data from 25 reporting DOE sites on nearly 20,000 workers, assisting DOE in the analysis of these data focusing on predictive indicators and risk management. Reports are also provided to the participating sites and to HSS staff on the condition of the data.
The enactment of 10 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 850—Chronic Beryllium Disease Prevention Program; Final Rule in December 1999—mandated this beryllium registry. The rule addresses the uncertainty concerning the degree of protection provided by exposure limits. To help reduce this uncertainty, the rule requires reporting of data that will allow for epidemiologic analyses of exposure and health outcomes.
The DOE BAWR facilitates the electronic reporting of an encrypted identifier, date of birth, gender, site, job history, medical screening test results, exposure measurements and results of diagnostic evaluations for each designated worker employed at DOE sites.
For more information, contact:
ORISE Beryllium Testing Laboratory
Toll-Free Numbers for Workers
- Beryllium Vendor Screening Program: 1.866.219.3442
- Beryllium Medical Surveillance Program: 1.866.219.3442
- Beryllium and Chronic Beryllium Disease fact sheet (PDF)
- Diagnostic Workup for Chronic Beryllium Disease fact sheet (PDF)
- Lymphocyte Proliferation Test fact sheet (PDF)
- DOE Website for Former Beryllium Workers Surveillance Program
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF files.