The research activity requires teams to be composed of one faculty member and one undergraduate student. Appointments will not be made to teams without a student member or to teams without a faculty member.
General Eligibility Information for All Team Members
- Be a United States citizen or have LPR status
- Be able to participate in the research activity for ten consecutive weeks during the same period as other team members
- Be able to participate full-time on-site at the assigned lab
- Have coverage under a health insurance plan before arriving at the appointment site and maintain coverage during the appointment
Faculty Eligibility Information
- Faculty members must be full-time at an eligible Minority Serving Institution (MIs) at the time of application
- Have a Ph.D. (or Master’s degree, if teaching at an eligible community college) in a discipline, major, or concentration directly related to a DTRA Research Area
- Can not be receiving compensation for faculty time during the ten-week appointment period from any other federally funded research program. This also encompasses those institutions with high Hispanic Enrollment and American Indian and Alaska Native-Serving Institutions.
Institution Eligibility Information
Most accredited U.S. postsecondary institutions that meet the statutory criteria for identification as Minority Serving Institutions are listed at: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/edlite-minorityinst.html
Institutions that meet at least one of the following criteria are eligible:
- Must be an accredited two- or four-year institution of higher education whose enrollment of a single minority or a combination of minorities exceeds 50 percent of the total enrollment (20 U.S.C 1067k(3)); or
- Must be an accredited two- or four-year Historically Black College or University under Title III Part B of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (20 U.S.C. 1060 et seq.); or
- Must be an accredited two- or four-year Hispanic-Serving Institution under Title V of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (20 U.S.C. 1101 et seq.); or
- Must be a Tribal College or University cited in the Equity in Educational Land Grant Status Act of 1994, the Tribally Controlled College or University Assistance Act of 1978, or the Navajo Community College Assistance Act of 1978; or a Native American-Serving, Nontribal Institution as defined by the Department of Education: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/edlite-minorityinst-list-pg9.html; or
- Must be an Alaska Native-serving institution and eligible as such in accordance with 20 U.S.C. 1058(b) and 20 U.S.C. 1059d(b)(2); or
- Must be a Native Hawaiian-serving institution and eligible as such in accordance with 20 U.S.C. 1058(b) and 20 U.S.C. 1059d(b)(4).