Congratulations on your appointment! We encourage you to carefully review this section, which should address many of the questions you may have regarding your selection.
ORAU has also developed a virtual orientation module that answers commonly asked questions and provides guidance on first day logistics, expectations, and additional participant information you may need to prepare for your appointment. To access the module, please visit Virtual Orientation.
As a participant in the EPSA Program, you are not an employee of ORAU, ORISE, EPSA, DOE, the host facility, or any other office or agency. Instead, you have an appointment at the EPSA-designated facility and are affiliated with ORAU for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE appointment letter and Terms of Appointment.
When accepting the Terms of Appointment, you agree that the receipt of stipend payments from ORAU shall not be construed as an employment relationship and acknowledge there are no employment-related benefits (such as paid vacations, sick pay, maternity leave, unemployment compensation, worker's compensation, etc.) associated with this appointment.
- Recognize that this is an educational experience and not a contract of employment.
- Be at the host facility during normal business hours as stated in the appointment letter.
- Observe and conform to all applicable rules, regulations, and requirements of the EPSA facility including, but not limited to, those respecting environment, safety, security, operating and health physics procedures, drug-free workplace notification requirements, and conduct.
- Participate in the ongoing research activities of EPSA.
- Recognize that you are a guest at EPSA.
- Recognize that you do not earn medical leave or personal leave, although the EPSA facility may permit occasional absences. Refer to your appointment letter for additional details.
YOU SHOULD NOT:
- Undertake activities that are reserved for federal employees.
- Supervise, appoint, mentor, hire or fire anyone.
- Accept budget or program management authority, signature authority, official job titles, or function in any way as a representative of the federal government, even if directed to by a responsible federal official.
INFORMATION ABOUT APPOINTMENTS
Beginning an appointment at EPSA
Extending or renewing an appointment at EPSA
Concluding an appointment at EPSA
Information on the calculation, payment, and receipt of stipends, including direct deposit instructions, health insurance premiums, and tax information for participants.
Participants must have health insurance during their time at EPSA. Learn more about this appointment requirement.
Information for participant travel and reimbursement during appointments.