Human Capital Planning
As a core part of providing effective communication and training to protect the safety of workers, the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) works with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) to engage in federal and contractor training and qualification management.
Through human capital planning, ORISE provides technical training expertise to federal and contract workers to ensure field sites are safe and that each project reflects a sufficient number of highly qualified workers.
ORISE's human capital planning process includes:
- Needs assessments
- Human capital and workforce analyses
- Process analyses and improvement
- Training program design
- Development and delivery of training material
- Program administration, including database development and management
- Exam bank development and maintenance
- Evaluation of training and qualification program effectiveness
- Workshops on conducting assessments
- Management of program Web sites
DOE's Office of Science oversees contractors and their facilities to ensure safe, well-maintained operations. ORISE has specifically assisted DOE’s Oak Ridge office (ORO) in establishing it as the lead site for implementation of the DOE Training and Qualification Program (TQP). The TQP equips federal DOE personnel with tools and guidance to reach the highest level of oversight knowledge, understanding and practical application.
By completing the program—which features qualification standards and corresponding training activities—DOE personnel build knowledge, skills and confidence to carry out their oversight duties effectively.
ORISE also assesses DOE contractors’ implementation of training-and-qualification programs to ensure that the process runs smoothly.