The Faculty Research Program offers qualified academic faculty an opportunity to collaborate with NETL principal investigators on research that is mutually beneficial to NETL and the participant at state-of-the-art NETL facilities. While typical appointments are part-time, some appointments are offered during the summer and as a sabbatical. Prior to the appointment, the NETL principal investigator and participant will define the scope of research and schedule the appointment period. Appointment periods range from one month to more than one year. Funding varies and is awarded based upon the participants academic salary. See the NETL On-Site Research Core Competencies.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT AREAS
- Carbon Management
- Chemical Reaction Engineering
- Combustion Science
- Computational Research
- Environmental Science
- Fuel Cell Research
- High Temperature/High Pressure Science
- Materials Performance
- Methane Hydrates Research
- Process Development
- Reciprocating Engines Research
- Remote Sensing
- Sensors and Controls
- Separations Science
- Surface Science
LENGTH OF APPOINTMENT
Faculty: Two weeks to one year initial appointments with continuous renewal
To be eligible, you must:
Be a full-time regular permanent faculty member at an accredited college/university with a research interest in NETL core R&D areas.
- Must provide a detailed statement of educational objectives and projected benefits to be realized as a result of the appointment.
- Part-time appointment candidates must submit a Part-Time Approval Form.
- Sabbatical appointment candidates must include a statement describing the financial arrangements with their academic institution , including fringe benefits paid by the institution (state as a percentage of salary and itemize).
- Stipend – Stipends are awarded monthly and based upon your current faculty contract. Participants with sabbatical leave appointments are expected to have at least one-half of their salaries paid by their home institutions.
- Insurance – Insurance is a program requirement for the Faculty Research Program. Currently, no insurance stipend is available.
- Inbound/Outbound Travel – Awarded on a case-by-case basis. To qualify, your residence must be more than 50 miles from the Laboratory.
- On-station Travel – Classified as travel during your appointment, on-station travel is designed to enhance your collaboration by promoting attendance at conferences, workshops, and other educational meetings. Awarded on a case-by-case basis.
Application are accepted on a rolling basis, apply when you can!
For more information, contact us at NETLinfo@orau.org.