ORISE seeks submissions for STEM Moments video
June 6, 2022
Attention ORISE participants and alumni! What are those “moments” you will always remember about your ORISE experience? We want to know and share with others. Your participation is more than just a few short months—it is the start of a lifetime!
ORISE is seeking submissions from current and past program participants for an exciting new video about the STEM Moments of your ORISE experience! This is your chance to share, through a video or a photo, what your ORISE appointment means to you. Whether it’s inside or outside your lab/research setting, we’re looking for videos and photos that capture your unique ORISE adventures and tell the story of those “moments” you will remember as part of your journey.
See below for complete guidelines and entry submission.
All eligible submissions will be entered into a random drawing for ten (10) $50 Amazon gift cards. Please view the submission guidelines below. Additionally, all chosen submissions will be considered for an ORISE Featurecast or Success Story. All submissions may not qualify.
Up to five (5) videos or photos will be accepted for each submission. If you have more than five (5), please make additional submissions using the guidelines below. The final video will be included on ORISE websites, Vimeo channel, and may be used in other ORISE outreach and engagement. Previously recorded footage may also be included in the video as needed.
The deadline to enter is August 15, 2022, at 5 p.m. ET.*
*Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Have a question? Contact us at ExperienceORISE@orau.org.
- Be an ORISE participant OR an alumnus within the last two years (appointment must have been in progress January 1, 2020, to present).
- Be 18 years or older.
- Submit an ORAU media release.
Video/Photo Submission Guidelines
- Use your cell phone to capture video.
- Keep the video 15 seconds to a minute in length.
- Show you and your surroundings clearly.
- Show yourself having fun or forming memories during your internship/fellowship. Get creative!
- Try to send only high-quality videos and photos that are horizontal (landscape).
- Be sure to request permission from your mentor and/or your host agency/facility if taking videos/photos within a labor at any site associated with your agency/facility. Verify that any images shown may be included in the video/picture and do not contain business-sensitive information before submitting.
- Make sure you request permission if taking videos/photos inside or of a non-public place (e.g., a private home or small group setting).
- Make sure you are shown using the proper safety equipment in all videos or photos as required by the facility.
- Verify that all faces/images shown in your video or photo have agreed to participate with their image shown unless in a public area such as an outdoor park or arena. If they agree, you will be required to submit the names of all shown in your video/photo and they will be required to complete a media release to be included. If they choose not to do so, you can indicate on the submission survey that all faces (except the submitter) should be blurred if your submission is selected. If that is not an option or if releases are not submitted, the video/photo submission will not be eligible.
- Make sure your submission does not include minors.
What NOT to include in your submission:
- Extremely blurry or shaky video
- Sensitive or confidential information, such as research material that you do not have permission to share publicly
- Lab or site footage without permission or without using the proper safety equipment
- Badges for any federal facilities—remove or cover any shown before taking picture or video
- Illegal, dangerous, or inappropriate content
Possible Submission Ideas
Not sure what to submit? Here are ideas to get you started!
- Those firsts you will never forget—first day of your ORISE appointment, first roommate(s), first time away from home, first stipend, etc.
- Connecting with peers during your internship/fellowship
- Attending a conference or professional development opportunity
- Learning a new skill or research process
- Presenting a poster or talk
- Meeting your mentor or team—virtual or in-person
- Exploring your appointment location
Be creative—you define those moments that stand out for you!
STEM Moments Video Timeline*
- June 2022: ORISE begins accepting entries
- August 15, 2022, at 5 p.m. ET: Deadline to submit content
- August/September 2022: Those whose submissions have been chosen to be featured are notified
- August/September 2022: Winners of gift card drawing are notified
*Note: Dates are tentative and subject to change.
Ready to enter?
The Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) asset that is dedicated to enabling critical scientific, research, and health initiatives of the department and its laboratory system by providing world class expertise in STEM workforce development, scientific and technical reviews, and the evaluation of radiation exposure and environmental contamination.
ORISE is managed by ORAU, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation and federal contractor, for DOE’s Office of Science. The single largest supporter of basic research in the physical sciences in the United States, the Office of Science is working to address some of the most pressing challenges of our time. For more information, please visit science.osti.gov.