500-plus attend Career Connections Day 2019 at ORNL
Over 500 interns, research associates, mentors, and other ORNL staff members turned out for the second annual Career Connections Day on June 19, 2019, at the ORNL Conference Center.
During this daylong professional development event, sponsored by ORNL and ORISE, presenters shared their personal stories and highlighted the importance of building a strong professional network.
Dr. Thomas Kurfess, chief manufacturing officer and distinguished senior scientist in manufacturing at ORNL, delivered the keynote address. Other speakers included Dr. Michelle Buchanan, deputy for science and technology at ORNL, and Dr. Budhendra Bhaduri, director of ORNL’s National Security Emerging Technologies Division at ORNL.
The event also featured a panel of ORNL and ORISE staff, who discussed their career paths and fielded questions from the audience. The panelists were:
- Deborah Bowling, JM, Director, Diversity & International Office
- Azhad Chowdhury, Postdoc, Chemical Sciences Division, ORNL
- Valentino Cooper, Group Leader in Materials Science & Technology Division, ORNL
- Stephanie Galanie, Distinguished Staff Fellow, Biosciences Division, ORNL
- Neena Imam, Deputy Director of Collaborations, Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate, ORNL
- Desmond Stubbs, Director of Diversity Initiatives, ORISE
During the afternoon session, representatives from a variety of professional organizations were on hand to share information about their groups and connect with attendees, while recruiters from ORNL and ORISE offered resume/CV tips, interview advice, and LinkedIn profile reviews.
ORISE would like to thank the ORNL Office of Research Excellence, the Oak Ridge Postdoctoral Association, the ORNL Professional Associations, and ORNL Human Resources/Talent Acquisition for all their help in making the event a success!