ATTENTION: Due to health and safety concerns over the COVID-19 outbreak, Oak Ridge National Laboratory has temporarily suspended all new internship and research associate appointments. This includes the Lab’s summer 2020 programs. Learn more here.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory participates in the Department of Energy Visiting Faculty Program (VFP). The program is sponsored and managed by the DOE Office of Science’s Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) in collaboration with the DOE National Laboratories. The program seeks to increase the research competitiveness of faculty members and their students at institutions historically underrepresented in the research community in order to expand the workforce vital to DOE’s mission.
- Applications are solicited annually for 10-week summer appointments.
- Selected faculty engage in research projects related to DOE’s ongoing research and development programs under the guidance of Laboratory staff scientists or engineers.
- $13,000 stipend for 10-week period
- $2,000 housing allowance for 10-week period and limited travel reimbursement, if permanent address is at least 50 miles from host Laboratory.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident at the time of application.
- Be a full-time faculty member at an accredited U.S. degree-granting, postsecondary, institution of higher education historically underrepresented in the U.S. research community. To be eligible, the applicant cannot be a faculty member at a Doctoral-Granting University assessed as being either Research Universities (RU/VH) - very high research activity, or Research Universities (RU/H) - high research activity as determined in the 2010 Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education™ less any institution also listed as an Historically Black College or University (HBCU) ; i.e. full-time faculty members at any HBCU are eligible.
- Be a full-time faculty member in an area of physics, chemistry, biology (non-medical), mathematics, engineering, environmental sciences, materials sciences, or computer or computational sciences.
- At the time of application, faculty applicants must submit a research project proposal that is co-developed with the research staff located at the host Laboratory.
- Complete pre- and post-appointment surveys.
- Complete the full 10-week program.
- Submit a 6-8 page project report on the outcome of DOE-VFP-related project activities
|VFP Term||Summer 2020|
|On-line application opens||Oct. 16, 2019|
|Deadline to submit application||Jan. 9, 2020, at 5:00 p.m. ET|
|Offer notification period begins on or around||Jan. 28, 2020|
|All DOE offers and notifications complete||April 3, 2020|
Visiting Faculty Program Life Cycle
The Beginning of Your Appointment
- Mentor Meet-up
During Your Appointment
- Your Research Project
- Weekly Seminars
- Brown Bag Opportunities
- Extracurricular Activities
The End of Your Appointment
- Poster Presentation
- Project Report
- Last Day