ATTENTION: Due to health and safety concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic, Oak Ridge National Laboratory has temporarily suspended new internship and research associate appointments for most programs. The suspension does not affect the U.S. Department of Energy’s Community College Internships (CCI) and Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI) programs, which are continuing to offer some virtual appointments. Learn more here.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory participates in the Department of Energy Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships (SULI). The program is sponsored and managed by the DOE Office of Science’s Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) in collaboration with the DOE national laboratories. The program encourages graduate students to pursue STEM careers by providing research experiences at a DOE laboratory.
- Applications are solicited annually for three separate internship terms. Fall/spring terms are 16 weeks in duration, while the summer term is 10 weeks in duration.
- Selected students engage in research projects related to DOE’s ongoing research and development programs under the guidance of laboratory staff scientists or engineers.
- $500/week stipend
- $150 housing allowance and limited travel reimbursement, if permanent address is at least 50 miles from host laboratory. Learn more about Housing for ORNL Research Participants.
- Current full-time graduate student at an accredited institution
- Completed at least one year of college at the time of application
- Cumulative minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Be 18 years or older prior to the start of the internship
- Be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident at the time of application
- Limited to no more than two internships
- Have medical insurance during their time at the laboratory
- Complete full program, 40 hours per week and avoid activities that could present a conflict
- Attend all scheduled events, including seminars, tours, and group activities
- Create an abstract, present a poster, and submit a project report and peer review
- Complete pre- and post-appointment surveys
- Behave in a responsible and professional manner