Higher Education Research Experiences at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (HERE at ORNL) provides research opportunities and associated activities for teaching and non-teaching faculty. The program is designed to complement academic programs by utilizing the unique resources of ORNL to enhance science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education, encourage careers in science and technology, and improve scientific literacy, while at the same time contributing to the Laboratory mission.
- Appointments may be for 10 weeks in summer, 6 to 12 months sabbatical, or by academic semester; limited extensions may be available.
- Applications are accepted on a year-round basis; refer to suggested deadlines for appointment periods.
- Full-time or part-time appointments may be offered.
- Selected participants engage in research or technical projects related to DOE’s ongoing research and development programs under the guidance of Laboratory staff scientists or engineers.
- A monthly stipend based on the participant’s certified academic salary; part-time appointments will be pro-rated - verification required
- Limited travel reimbursement
- Be a member of the full-time teaching or non-teaching faculty at an accredited U.S. institution in a STEM field or related discipline
- Hold an advanced degree - verification required
- Be 18 years or older prior to the start of appointment
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident at the time of application - verification required
- Have medical insurance during appointment - verification required
- Complete program requirements, and avoid activities that could present a conflict.
- Attend enrichment activities, including professional development workshops, lab tours, lectures, seminars, and poster presentations. Please note that these activities are optional and dependent upon mentor approval.
- Behave in a responsible and professional manner.
- Complete pre- and post-appointment surveys.
|HERE at ORNL Term||Spring||Summer||Fall|
|Suggested Deadline*||October 1||February 1||June 1|
*Application system is always open and selections are made year-round. Follow the suggested deadline dates for greater chance of selection.