ATTENTION: Due to health and safety concerns over the COVID-19 outbreak, Oak Ridge National Laboratory has temporarily suspended all new internship and research associate appointments. Learn more here.
The Higher Education Research Experiences (HERE) program at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) provides opportunities for participation in research and related technical activities to qualified recent associate and bachelor’s graduates. This educational experience offers selected participants the ability to learn from world-class scientists while utilizing the unique resources of ORNL and encourages careers in the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and support fields.
- Applications are accepted year-round with selections made on a rolling basis as opportunities become available
- Flexible appointment duration up to a maximum of one year
- Full-time or part-time research or technical appointments may be offered
- Stipend (paid bi-weekly) varies by posting; pro-rated if part time
- $175/week housing allowance (paid with stipend) and limited travel reimbursement, if full-time and permanent address is at least 50 miles from ORNL
- Learn more about Housing for ORNL Research Participants
- Hold an Associate or Bachelor’s degree received within the last year from a U.S. accredited institution – degree must be shown on academic record provided
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale - copy of academic record with degree and final GPA required
- You must be at least 18 years old by the first day of your appointment or by the date indicated in the posting description.
- Citizenship varies by posting
- Have medical insurance during entire appointment
- Have one academic or professional recommendation
- Complete program requirements and avoid activities that could present a conflict
- Accept offer and complete all onboarding documents and verify approval to start within Zintellect prior to beginning appointment
- Develop and present (under the guidance of your mentor) one of the following deliverables - a copy of the chosen deliverable, signed and approved by your mentor, must be presented to ORISE 15 days prior to the end of your appointment (details will be provided at time of offer):
- A 3-5 page written report summarizing your research and/or technical experience
- A poster on your research project which you will present at an ORISE poster session or to your ORNL group, division, or directorate (additional report or copy of poster may be required)
- A formal presentation on your research and/or technical experience to your ORNL group, division, or directorate (additional report and copy of presentation may be required)
- Attend enrichment activities, including professional development workshops, Laboratory tours, lectures, seminars, and poster presentations
- Please note that these activities are optional and dependent upon mentor approval
- Obtain and present to ORISE your ORCiD
- Complete pre- and post-appointment surveys