Each Oak Ridge National Laboratory division has an education coordinator. This person will serve as your main point of contact for the Science Education Programs at ORNL. ORISE staff also is available to answer any questions that you may have.
The process is slightly different if you are selecting a DOE SULI, CCI, or VFP participant through Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists Application Review System (WARS). Click here to view the WARS process.
Although the process is different in each division, the diagram below provides a broad overview of selecting a participant through the Zintellect system.
Selecting an Applicant
- Define your need (student, recent graduate, faculty, length of appointment, intellectual property rights protection, etc.)
- Request access to Zintellect from ORISE staff (if needed)
- Review applicants in Zintellect. You may interview applicants as needed.
- ORISE can provide recruiting assistance, as needed, to locate qualified applicants.
- Provide your selection to your education coordinator and/or ORISE staff.
- Complete the Online Mentor Orientation module.
- The mentor or their proxy enters an Education Appointment Request (EAR) to transfer funds from your account to ORISE.
- After approval, the EAR will convert to an MPO and be issued by ORNL Procurement.
- ORISE will issue the formal offer to the selected applicant.
- Once the selected applicant accepts the offer, you will need to enter the name into ORNL’s Personnel Access System (PAS).
- Depending on the program, the selectee may be required to participate in an orientation meeting on the first day of the appointment.
- ORISE will provide support and assistance throughout the term of appointment.
- While on-site, participants will have the opportunity to take part in a variety of activities to enhance their overall personal and professional development.