ATTENTION: Due to health and safety concerns over the COVID-19 outbreak, Oak Ridge National Laboratory has temporarily suspended all new internship and research associate appointments. Learn more here.
The Laboratory Technology Associate Program (Lab Tech) offers current undergraduate students or recent bachelor’s or associate degree graduates an opportunity to develop their technical skills at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Opportunities are driven by ORNL needs and include both full-time and part-time opportunities. The program is designed to complement academic programs and prepare individuals for a career in the technical workforce.
- Participants receive salary and benefits commensurate with their academic status.
- Participants receive continuous technical training while enrolled in school or after graduation.
- Tuition and fees may be reimbursed, and a stipend may be provided for books.
- ORNL may evaluate a participant’s potential for permanent employment.
- Applications are accepted on a year-round basis.
- Be a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident (LPR)
- Have at least one semester of college credit with at least one course in the appropriate technical field, OR have an associate degree or higher in a relevant field OR possess a skillset relevant to laboratory need (e.g. AMTEK or Mechatronics certification)
- There is no GPA requirement
- Not be enrolled in a graduate course of study
- Hourly wage determined by the Service Contract Act.
- Participants in the Lab Tech program are considered either full- or part-time temporary employees of ORAU, and therefore may be entitled to employee benefits such as medical/dental insurance benefits, employee assistance program, basic life insurance, travel accident insurance, leave benefits, educational assistance, and supplemental retirement plan.
- Computer sciences
- Earth and geosciences
- Environmental and marine sciences
- Life health and medical sciences
- Material science
- Mathematics and statistics
- Other physical sciences
- Others as needed