- Be a U.S. Citizen as of the application deadline. Evidence of U.S. citizenship must be submitted to ORISE at the time the appointment is accepted.
- Be at least 18 years old by May 1, 2017.
- Meet one of the following conditions:
- Postgraduate: Have earned an associate, undergraduate or graduate degree in the past five years in a field related to robotics, manufacturing, or engineering.
- Student: Be enrolled as a full-time student pursuing a degree related to robotics, manufacturing, or engineering.
- High School Senior: Be enrolled as a high school senior expected to graduate by Summer 2017 and planning to be enrolled in an undergraduate program for Fall 2017. Proof of acceptance to an accredited U.S. university or community college must be submitted to ORISE at the time the appointment is accepted.
Though not required, applicants with previous robotics competition experience are specifically encouraged to apply. Applications will be accepted starting in January 2017, check back soon for dates.