Developing the skills that complement a successful STEM career
Getting a great education and engaging in research participation programs only make up a small portion of what it takes to launch your career. It is also important to know how to write a cover letter, create a résumé/CV, and network with other scientists. The Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) has been helping young STEM professionals on their career paths since 1946, and our experts have provided some resources below to help you reach the next step in your career.
ORISE participants have exclusive access to ORISE Learn, an online training program that features content complementary to the laboratory research experience.
Submitting Successful Applications
Crafting an application that highlights your potential as the perfect research participant is not easy, but an ORISE program manager helps to make the process easier. Follow these three steps to success.
Understanding the Peer Review Process
Quality peer review requires vigilant management of a well-designed systematic process. Learn about the three pillars upon which quality peer review programs are built: independence, expertise and integrity.
Resumes, CVs and cover letters
- UNC Chapel Hill: Resumes and Letters
- Vanderbilt University: Creating Your Resume
- Carnegie Mellon University: Creating Resumes, Cover Letters and Professional Communication
- Colorado State University: The Resume Guide
- Purdue University: Ace the Interview
- Vanderbilt University: Interviewing
- University of Tennessee: Interview Tips and Practices
- The Ohio State University: Interviewing Skills
- Penn State University: Interviewing
- Vanderbilt University: Networking
- The Ohio State University: Networking
- Washington University: Networking
- University of Texas: Networking
Additional career resources
- Duke University: Career Center Skills Guides
- Carnegie Mellon University: Video Resources
- American Association for the Advancement of Science: Online Career-Planning Tool for Ph.D. students and postdocs in the sciences
- Versatile Ph.D.: Online Career-Planning Tool for graduate students and Ph.Ds