Other Foreign National Statuses

Lawful Permanent Residents – Green Cards

Individuals who have permission to reside in the United States on a permanent basis (i.e., holders of “green cards”).

Form I-551, Resident Alien card.  Although resident alien cards issued to Lawful Permanent Residents must be reissued every 10 years, the individual's status does not expire.

Conditional Permanent Residents

Individuals who obtain lawful permanent residence as the spouse of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, whose marriage was of less than two years duration at the time permanent resident status is granted. Conditional permanent residence is granted for a period of two years.  (0 days before the end of this period, the individual(s) are required to petition USCIS for removal of the conditional status).  If approved, the individual is converted to regular lawful permanent residence.

Refugees and Asylees

Individuals who have proven a well-founded fear of persecution in their home country.  If they reside outside the U.S. at the time of application, they are granted refugee status and admitted to the United States. If they reside inside the U.S. at the time of application, they are granted asylum. Refugee and asylee statuses are valid for one year, after which time they may apply to become a lawful permanent resident.

Their authorized employment is "incident to status." They may also have an admissions stamp in a passport, a United Nations refugee travel document, a U.S. refugee travel document, or an I-94 notated with refugee status and containing an employment authorization endorsement.  No EAD required.

Temporary Protected Status

Special temporary protection from deportation is available to qualified nationals of countries designated by the Attorney General.  Requires and EAD issued by USCIS.

Employment Authorization Document (EAD) based on Adjustment of Status  (AOS) -  Nonimmigrant to Immigrant

A foreign national who has filed an I-485 application for adjustment of status may apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) during the period that the application is pending with USCIS.  This is an unrestricted employment authorization that permits the foreign national to work for any employer.