HerStory: Heidi Hoard-Fruchey, Ph.D. Meet Heidi Hoard-Fruchey, Ph.D.
Current Position: Biologist, Army Public Health Center
- B.S., Biochemistry, Michigan State University
- Ph.D., Molecular Biology, Mayo Clinic
- 2017 - Federal Executive Board Excellence in Federal Career Outstanding Para-Professional Technical, Scientific, & Program Team Award - Bronze
- 2016 - Federal Executive Board Excellence in Federal Career Volunteer Service – Individual Award – Silver
- 2016 - Federal Executive Board Excellence in Federal Career Volunteer Service – Group or Team Award - Silver
Areas of Interest:
- Toxicology of newly developed chemicals
- Toxicology of chemical threat agents and development of medical countermeasures
- STEM outreach
What’s the favorite part of your job?
"My favorite part of my job has to be the mentoring. I mean, I love the science, don't get me wrong. I really love toxicology, but mentoring others is by far the most rewarding part of being a scientist. To watch a mentee progress through their career, and help the mentee prepare for the next step of their career, there's nothing more exciting to be a part of."
Role as an ORISE Mentor: Throughout my career with the Army, I have mentored college students, post-graduates (bachelor's and master's degrees) and post-doctoral fellows through the ORISE program.