Hosted by the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE), the annual Ignite Off! competition showcases the talents of interns from participating federal agencies and offices as they share their research through Ignite Talks. Each competitor has five minutes to present their project, using 20 picture-centric slides that automatically advance every 15 seconds. Contestants have access to an ORISE professional development course that teaches the process for developing an Ignite talk.
Register now for the 2022 Ignite Off! Competition
New this year! The 2022 Ignite Off! Competition is open to all undergrads, graduates, and recent graduates (including postdocs). The 2022 Ignite Off! Competition will be held virtually.
How do I find out more about the 2022 competition?
Two information sessions will be held on the following dates:
2021 Ignite Off! National Viewing Event
2021 Ignite Off! Competition Winner
Janet Teng, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
2020 Ignite Off! Competition Winner
Kristyn Johnson, National Energy Technology Laboratory
Other 2020 Ignite Off! finalists:
- Enakshi Saha | ANL – Bayesian Latent-Variable Modeling of COVID-19 Infection Rate
- Abdullah Kuziez | ANL – Accelerators for Carbon Ion Therapy
- Trevor McQueen | ORNL – Capturing Molecular Actions via Vitrification
- Tanner Stelmach | NETL – Chemical Looping Gasification (CLG)
- Jacob Sumner | ORNL – Protein Shape Reconstruction with Neutron Scattering and Computational Tools
2019 ORNL vs. ANL Ignite Off! Competition Winner
Kaylee Cunningham, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Other 2019 Ignite Off! finalists:
- Benjamin Aronson | ANL – The Future of Metal Manufacturing
- Taylor Dennis | ORNL – The Search for Mirror Neutrons
- Carol Lin | ANL – Investigation of the Tribological Effects on the Surface Interaction of Wind Turbine Bearings
- Tayler Sundermann | ORNL – Robotic Laser Titanium Wire Big Area Additive Manufacturing
- Nadia Zaragoza | ANL – Materials Science and Nuclear Fuels
2018 ANL vs. ORNL Ignite Off! Competition Winner
Sam Hollifield, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Other 2018 Ignite Off! finalists:
- Pranav Gandham | ORNL – Lithium Ion Batter Cathodes
- Julie Nguyen | ANL – What is Tribology?