Hosted by the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE), the annual Ignite Off! competition showcases the talents of interns from participating federal agencies and offices as they share their research through Ignite Talks. Each competitor has five minutes to present their project, using 20 picture-centric slides that automatically advance every 15 seconds. Contestants have access to an ORISE professional development course that teaches the process for developing an Ignite talk.
Coming Soon: 2021 Ignite Off! National Viewing Event – August 2021
The 2021 Ignite Off! national viewing event will be live in August 2021. Details for accessing the live event will be available on this page by August 13, 2021.
Scroll below to see presentations from past competitions.
2020 Ignite Off! National Viewing Event with special remarks by DOE ORNL Site Office Deputy Manager Michele Branton
2020 Ignite Off! Competition Winner
Kristyn Johnson, National Energy Technology Laboratory
Other 2020 Ignite Off! finalists:
- Enakshi Saha | ANL – Bayesian Latent-Variable Modeling of COVID-19 Infection Rate
- Abdullah Kuziez | ANL – Accelerators for Carbon Ion Therapy
- Trevor McQueen | ORNL – Capturing Molecular Actions via Vitrification
- Tanner Stelmach | NETL – Chemical Looping Gasification (CLG)
- Jacob Sumner | ORNL – Protein Shape Reconstruction with Neutron Scattering and Computational Tools
2019 ORNL vs. ANL Ignite Off! Competition Winner
Kaylee Cunningham, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Other 2019 Ignite Off! finalists:
- Benjamin Aronson | ANL – The Future of Metal Manufacturing
- Taylor Dennis | ORNL – The Search for Mirror Neutrons
- Carol Lin | ANL – Investigation of the Tribological Effects on the Surface Interaction of Wind Turbine Bearings
- Tayler Sundermann | ORNL – Robotic Laser Titanium Wire Big Area Additive Manufacturing
- Nadia Zaragoza | ANL – Materials Science and Nuclear Fuels
2018 ANL vs. ORNL Ignite Off! Competition Winner
Sam Hollifield, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Other 2018 Ignite Off! finalists:
- Pranav Gandham | ORNL – Lithium Ion Batter Cathodes
- Julie Nguyen | ANL – What is Tribology?