What will I receive?
All support is administered by ORISE.
- Stipend: You will receive a stipend for your living expenses during this educational experience. Payments rates are determined by DOE, and are based on your educational level, skills, and experience. The minimum stipend for undergraduates is $700/week and $750/week graduate students and recent graduates.
- Inbound/Outbound Travel Reimbursement: Transportation expenses for up to $1,000 for participants who relocate more than fifty miles, one-way, from the assigned hosting site.
- Other allowances: Depending on your project assignment, duration of appointment and funding availability, you may be eligible to receive allowances for travel and training, health insurance and relocation.
- ORISE Learn: an ORISE participant resource with professional development modules
- Access to other developmental activities and events offered by DOE and ORISE to help you build your professional network.
- Opportunities to demonstrate your skills in various educational and sometimes competitive activities.
- Opportunities to build a connections with your peers and other professionals.
ORISE Go mobile app – ORISE Go will help you stay connected with allows program information for applicants and participants to be pushed directly to ORISE Go subscribers.
Opportunities may be available at DOE Headquarters, DOE Field Offices, and other participating DOE sites.
Available appointments vary with DOE office/facility needs. The offices/facilities listed below have sponsored Scholars in the past and may consider sponsoring additional Scholars. There is no guarantee that a specific location will have Scholars each year.
Program Offices, Washington, D.C.
Carlsbad Field Office, Carlsbad, NM
Environmental Management Consolidated Business Center, Cincinnati, Ohio
Idaho Operations Office, Idaho Falls, ID
Richland Operations Office, Richland, WA
Savannah River Operations Office, Aiken, SC
Information about the start and end dates of your appointment.
Appointment dates may vary depending on the participant and host office schedules.
Length of Appointment
Information about the length appointment.
Most DOE Scholars appointments are short-term, summer internships of ten weeks or less. Longer term appointments may also be offered.
Appointments may be extended in one-year increments for up to five years.
Conditions of the Appointment
Information on commitment, health insurance, reporting and policies.
Health insurance: Scholars are required to have health insurance coverage during the appointment period and to provide proof of this coverage prior to the start of the appointment.
Feedback Survey: Scholars are required to complete an online feedback survey pre- and post-appointment to help assess the effectiveness of the program.
Policies/regulations of the Hosting Site: Scholars must adhere to the existing policies, regulations and procedures of the hosting facility and obtain facility access as required.
Nature of the Appointment
Description of the DOE Scholars Appointment.
As a participant in the DOE Scholars Program, you will not be considered an employee of ORAU, ORISE, the DOE, the host facility, or any other office or agency. Instead, Scholars will have an appointment at a designated facility and will be affiliated with ORISE for the administration of the appointment through the ORISE letter of appointment and ORISE Terms of Appointment.
ORISE Go mobile app offers a fast, convenient way to communicate with applicants and participants.
The ORISE GO mobile app helps you stay engaged, connected and informed during your ORISE experience and beyond. Visit the ORISE GO page for more info on how to download the app to your mobile device.