Joint Science and Technology Institute West
The Joint Science and Technology Institute West is a two-week, fully-funded, residential STEM research experience for current high school students in the United States. Participants will engage in research projects mentored by Department of Defense, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and Sandia National Laboratory research scientists and other subject matter experts. The purpose of the institute is to inspire and encourage students to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields, increase STEM literacy, and expose students to the importance of STEM through hands-on, relevant research.
Information for Applicants
High School Student Information
Eligibility Criteria for High School Student Applicants:
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be age 16 by July 1, 2021.
- Must attend school or be homeschooled in the U.S.
- Must be entering the 10th, 11th, or 12th grade in the 2021-2022 academic year.
- Must have a submitted reference contact’s email address on the application to be considered. Requests for a reference are sent automatically from your application submission.
- Must be willing to follow all program and safety instructions.
- Must be able to participate in all activities for the full-program period..
- Must be able to reside on-site throughout the full program (lodging and supervision provided).
- Graduating seniors in spring or summer of 2021 are not eligible.