The expertise at the Radiation Emergency Assistance Center Training Site (REAC/TS) extends beyond a commitment to educate nurses, health physicists and emergency personnel about the medical management of radiation injuries. REAC/TS staff regularly contribute to the greater medical community through collaborations with other scientists to publish scholarly articles that address the medical aspects of radiation incidents. A sampling of recent and anticipated publications is listed below.
Carol Iddins, M.D.
Associate Director, REAC/TS
- E. Goans, R. E. Toohey, C. J. Iddins, N. Daniak, S. L. McComish, S. Y. Tolmachev. 2017. The Pseudo Pelger-Huët Cell as a Retrospective Dosimeter: Analysis of a Radium Dial Painter Cohort. Health Phys (at press).
- C. J. Iddins, S. R. Cohen, R. E. Goans, R. Wanat, M. Jenkins, D. M. Christensen, N. Dainiak. 2016. Case Report: Industrial X-ray Injury Treated with Non-cultured Autologous Adipose-derived Stromal Vascular Fraction (SVF). Health Phys. 111(2): 112-116.
- N. Dainiak, R. E. Goans, C. J. Iddins, C. Case. 2016. Radiological and Nuclear Terrorism: The Oncologic Emergency Response. Oncologic Emergency Medicine Principles and Practice. Todd KH and Thomas CR Eds. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- R. E. Goans, C. J. Iddins, D. Christensen, A. Wiley, N. Dainiak. 2015. Appearance of Pseudo Pelger Huet Anomaly after Accidental Exposure to Ionizing In Vivo. Health Phys. 108(3): 303-307.
- M. Kirk, C. J. Iddins. 2015. Resources for Toxicologic and Radiological Information and Assistance. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America: Management of Hazardous Material Emergencies.
- A. Romanyukha, F. Trompier, R. Reyes, D. Christensen, C. Iddins, S. Sugarman. 2014. Electron Paramagnetic Resonance Radiation Dose Assessment in Fingernails of the Victim Exposed to High Dose as Result of an Accident. Radiation and Environmental Biophysics, 53.4: 755-762.
- R. E. Goans, C. J. Iddins, D. M. Christensen, A. Wiley, T. M. Fliedner, N. Dainiak. 2014. Correlation of Nuclear Abnormalities in Myeloid Cells with Estimated Whole-Body Dose of Radiation Received During the Y-12 Criticality Accident. Health Physics Journal.
- D. Christensen, C. J. Iddins, S. Sugarman. 2014. Ionizing Radiation Illnesses and Injuries. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America: Clinical Toxicology, 32:1, 245-265.
- C. J. Iddins. An Overview of Antioxidants and Radiation Injury. Fifth REACTS’ Symposium on the Medical Management of Radiation Injury. Oak Ridge Associated Universities: 12-1771.
- R. E. Goans, C. J. Iddins, D. M. Christensen. Ultrasound & Thermography for Diagnosis of Extent & Magnitude of Acute Local Radiation Injury (LRI). Fifth REACTS’ Symposium on the Medical Management of Radiation Injury. Oak Ridge Associated Universities: 12-1771.
- D. M. Christensen, C. J. Iddins, S. J. Parrillo. E. S. Glassman, R. E. Goans. 2014. Ionizing Radiation and Local Injuries. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, 2013.
- D. M. Christensen, C. J. Iddins, S. J. Parrillo. E. S. Glassman, R. E. Goans. 2014. Ionizing Radiation Illnesses and Injuries, Acute Radiation Syndrome. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association.
- D. Christensen, C. Iddins, S. Sugarman. 2014. Ionizing Radiation Illnesses and Injuries. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America: Clinical Toxicology, 32:1: 245-265.
Adayabalam S. Balajee, Ph.D.
Technical Director, REAC/TS Cytogenetic Biodosimetry Laboratory
- D. Mo, H. Fang, K. Niu, J. Liu, M. Wu, S. Li, T. Zhu, M. A. Aleskandarany, A. Arora, D. N. Lobo, S. Madhusudan, A. S. Balajee, Z. Chi, Y. Zhao. 2016. Human Helicase RecQL4 Drives Cisplatin Resistance in Gastric Cancer by Activating an Akt-YB1-MDR1 Signaling Pathway. Cancer Res. 76: 3057-3066.
- I. Shuryak, Y. Sun, A. S. Balajee. 2016. Advantages of Binomial Likelihood Maximization for Analyzing and Modeling Cell Survival Curves. Radiation Research. 185: 246-256.
- A. Arora, D. Agarwal, T. M. Abdel-Fatah, H. Lu, D. L. Croteau, P. Moseley, M. A. Aleskandarany, A. R. Green, G. Ball, E. A. Rakha, S. Y. Chan, I. O. Ellis, L. L. Wang, Y. Zhao, A. S. Balajee, V. A. Bohr. S Madhusudan S. 2016. RecQL4 Helicase has Oncogenic Potential in Sporadic Breast Cancers. J. Pathol. 238: 495-501.
- G. Garty, A. W. Bigelow, M. Repin, H. C. Turner, D. Bian, A. S. Balajee, O. V. Lyulko, M. Taveras, Y. L. Yao, D. J. Brenner. 2015. An Automated Imaging System for Radiation Biodosimetry. Microsc. Res. Tech. 78: 587-598.
- J. Liu, H. Fang, Z. Chi. D. Mo, K. Niu, A. S. Balajee, T. K. Hei, L. Nie, Yongliang Zhao. 2015. XPD Localizes in Mitochondria and Protects the Mitochondrial Genome from Oxidative DNA Damage. Nucleic Acids Res. 43: 5476-5488.
- S. Nicolai, S. Filippi, M. Caputo, L. Cipak, E. Csaazar, G. Ammerer, J. Gregan, M. Frontini, D. Willems, A. S. Balajee, L. Proietti DeSantis. 2015. Identification of Novel Proteins Co-purifuing with Cockayne Syndrome Group B (CSB) Reveals Possible Roles for CSB in RNA Metabolism and Chromatin Dynamics. PLoS One 10: e0128558.
- A. S. Balajee*, A. Bertucci, M. Taveras. D. J. Brenner. 2014. Multicolour FISH Analysis of Ionizing Radiation Induced Micronucleus Formation in Human Lymphocytes. Mutagenesis 29, 447-455.
- F. Ciaffardini, S. Nicolai, M. Caputo, G. Canu, E. Paccosi, M. Costantino, M. Frontini, A.S. Balajee*, L. Proietti-De-Santis*. 2014. The Cockayne Syndrome B Protein is Essential for Neuronal Differentiation and Neuritogenesis. Cell Death Dis. 5:e1268.
- G. M. Calaf, A. S. Balajee, M. T. Montalvo-Villagra, M. Leon, N. M. Daniela, R. G. Alvarez, D. Roy, G. Narayan, J. Abarca-Quinones. 2014. Vimentin and Notch as Biomarkers for Breast Cancer Progression. Oncol Lett. 7:721-727.
- H. Fang, L. Nie, Z. Chi, J. Liu, D. Guo, X. Lu, T. K. Hei, A. S. Balajee*, Y. Zhao*. 2013. RecQL4 Helicase Amplification is Involved in Human Breast Tumorigenesis. PLoS One 228: e69600.
- G. M. Calaf, D. Roy, G. Narayan, and A. S. Balajee. 2013. Differential Expression of Cell Adhesion Molecules in an Ionizing Radiation-induced Breast Cancer Model System. Oncol Rep. 30:285-91.
- H. Cheng, Z. Zhang, A. Borczuk, C. A. Powell, A. S. Balajee, H. B. Lieberman, B. Halmos B. 2013. PARP Inhibition Selectively Increases Sensitivity to Cisplatin in ERCC1-low Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Cells. Carcinogenesis 34:739-49.
Mark S. Jenkins, Ph.D. CSP
Health Physicist, REAC/TS
- D. M. Christensen, M. S. Jenkins, S. L. Sugarman, E. S. Glassman. 2014. Management of Ionizing Radiation Injuries and Illnesses, Part 1: Physics, Radiation Protection, and Radiation Instrumentation. Am Osteopath Assoc. 114(3): 189-199.
Angie Bowen, RN
- M. Cicero, T. Whitfill, B. Walsh, M. Carmen-Diaz, G. Arteaga, D. Scherzer, S. Goldberg, M. Madhok, A. Bowen, G. Paesano, M. Redlener, K. Munjal, D. Kessler, M. Auerbach. 60 Seconds to Survival: A Multisite Study of a Screen-based Simulation to Improve Prehospital Providers Disaster Triage Skills. Academic Emergency Medicine Education and Training, April 2018
- M. Cicero, T. Whitfill, K. Munjal, M. Madhok, M. Diaz, D. Schwerzer, B. Walsh, A. Bowen, M. Redlener, S. Goldberg, N. Symons, J. Burkett, J. Santos, D. Kessler, R. Barnicle, G. Paesano, M. Auerbach. 60 Seconds to Survival: A Randomized Controlled Trial of a Disaster Triage Video Game For Prehospital Care Providers. American Journal of Disaster Medicine 12:2, 75-83.
Ronald E. Goans, Ph.D. M.D. MPH
Senior Scientific/Medical Advisor
- R. E. Goans. 2013. Cytogenetic Biodosimetry and Clinical Hematology in the Management of Radiation Injury. Eds. A. Wiley and D. Christensen. Fifth REACTS’ Symposium on the Medical Management of Radiation Injury. Oak Ridge Associated Universities: 12-1771.
- R. E. Goans, C. J. Iddins, D. M. Christensen. 2013. Ultrasound & Thermography for Diagnosis of Extent & Magnitude of Acute Local Radiation Injury (LRI). Fifth REACTS’ Symposium on the Medical Management of Radiation Injury. Oak Ridge Associated Universities: 12-1771.
- R. E. Goans, C. J. Iddins, D. M. Christensen, A. Wiley, N. Dainiak. 2015. Appearance of pseudo Pelger Huet anomaly after exposure to ionizing in vivo. Health Phys. 108(3): 303-307.
Richard E. Toohey, Ph.D. CHP
Senior Scientific Advisor
M.H. Chew & Associates, Inc.
- A. Bouville, R. E. Toohey, J. D. Boice, Jr., et al. 2015. Dose Reconstruction for the Million Worker Study: Status and Guidelines. Health Physics. 108: 206-220.
- S. Sugarman, R. Toohey. 2013. The Medical Basis for Radiation-Accident Preparedness: Medical Management. Chapter 15, Practical Medical Applications of Dose Magnitude Estimation. Oak Ridge Associated Universities.